Saturday, August 11, 2012

Real Living



We are building our third home. Hopefully we've got it right this time ! This is to be our 'forever'home, well until the boys leave the nest anyway. According to statistics children are now enjoying the fruits of their parents labour and staying at home longer. I was 18 when I first left the nest, I couldn't wait to get my own place and assert my independence. Many a weekend was spent trawling the paper, yes paper, no realestate.com.au back then ! Furniture was sparse, I had a hand me down lounge suite from my parents, a rented tv and my bed. Flash ! Interest free wasn't an option, tv's were expensive and  discount furniture stores were few and far between.

Each month I eagerly wait for the latest Real Living, Home Beautiful and House & Garden magazines. Pouring over the pages, soaking up the beautiful interiors and gathering ideas. I can't wait to see the feature homes every month, of real people, with real lives and families. It's frustrating though, as I look at the images of these magazine perfect homes I wonder how these people get their style and decorate so amazingly. Frustratingly most of the time these are homes of interior decorators/stylists, architects, fashion designers or people in the 'industry', you get my drift ? Where are the homes of people like me? Who like beautiful interiors but have a limited budget. Who can't afford to employ a stylist or decorator. Who are living on one (average) income. I understand these publications are aspirational but some reality every now and then would be great too !

No comments:

Post a Comment